View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 The Rev - AX7 Drummer Dies 
Viking Kong

Orange County, California hard rockers AVENGED SEVENFOLD have tapped DREAM THEATER's Mike Portnoy to play on their forthcoming album following the recent passing of AVENGED SEVENFOLD drummer James "The Rev" Sullivan.

Commented Portnoy: "Even under normal circumstances I would've been happy to help the guys out in any way I could, as I think AVENGED SEVENFOLD are a great band...but under these incredibly sad and tragic circumstances, I must say I am truly honored to have been asked to play with them... and I didn't even have to think twice about saying yes.

"These guys are a true family and it is an incredibly emotional experience to be here with them for the first time without their lost brother. But they have welcomed me into the family with open arms and there's a real excitement to make the record they had set out to make...

"I am treating my participation on this album with the utmost respect for Jimmy's memory and am remaining as true as possible to the drum parts that he wrote for the songs and the record he wanted to make.

"I want their fans to realize that I'm not trying to step into or fill The Rev's shoes...I'm just merely lacing 'em up for him!"

Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:23 pm
Viking Kong

I saw the news earlier today on Myspace, and all I'd like to say is: AWESOME. Finally the Dream Theater/A7X-connection everyone is talking about is pretty clear for me as well! :lol: :D

Really digging on Michael Hedges. And Shawn Lane. And Pat Metheny.

Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:58 pm
Viking Kong

DREAM THEATER's Mike Portnoy has finished laying down drum tracks for the new AVENGED SEVENFOLD album. Portnoy was filling in for James "The Rev" Sullivan, who died in late December. Mike said, "What an amazing and emotional experience!

"Me and Zacky [Vengeance, AVENGED SEVENFOLD guitarist] celebrated [the completion of the drum tracks] by getting matching Death Bat tats here in the studio... I also went with Matt [AVENGED SEVENFOLD singer M. Shadows] on Saturday night when he got a new Death Bat tat with Jimmy's face."

Portnoy continued, "I must thank the amazing AVENGED SEVENFOLD fans for being so open and welcoming to me. I was fearing them being very defensive over The Rev's drum throne, but they've all been so supportive, open-minded, understanding and excited by the news... It is a huge relief to me and the guys!

"What an awesome family spirit these guys have... lotsa love! Shadows, [Synyster] Gates [guitar], Zacky and Johnny [Christ, bass] are now my brothers for life... Hopefully this wont be the last time I play with them.

"And oh yeah... The album is gonna be incredible! The Rev is absolutely looking down with a big-ass smile on his face!"

AVENGED SEVENFOLD announced Portnoy's participation in their fifth album on February 17, calling him Sullivan's "all-time favorite drummer. "

Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:27 pm
Viking Kong

Wow, that was quick! :lol: Any rumors for a release date anytime soon?

Really digging on Michael Hedges. And Shawn Lane. And Pat Metheny.

Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:15 pm
Viking Kong

Wow, that was quick! :lol: Any rumors for a release date anytime soon?

All I'm hearing is "Fall of 2010" but nothing definite....

Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:11 am
God Of The Sun

Yes, Portnoy is absolutely incredible. He is insanely quick with the drum tracking.
It's like that with every side project: E.g. on the new Transatlanitic album's bonus DVD it's the same thing. Drums where done in no time.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:17 am
Viking Kong

Yes, Portnoy is absolutely incredible. He is insanely quick with the drum tracking.
It's like that with every side project: E.g. on the new Transatlanitic album's bonus DVD it's the same thing. Drums where done in no time.

Agreed...... I have all of Mike's "Drum-Cam" DVD's for the making of the last 5 or 6 Dream Theater Discs and the footage is just incredible...

8)

Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:29 pm
Viking Kong

Post Re: The Rev - AX7 Drummer Dies
Frustrating news.....

Avenged Sevenfold's Jimmy Sullivan Died Of 'Accidental Drugs Overdose'
June 10, 2010

Avenged Sevenfold drummer Jimmy ‘The Rev’ Sullivan died of an accidental drugs overdose, a coroner has said.
The 28-year-old drummer was found dead at his home in Huntington Beach, southern California last December.

Orange County Deputy Coroner Mitchell Sigal told Rolling Stone Sullivan suffered an “acute polydrug intoxication”.

Toxicology results showed the drummer had a cocktail of painkillers in his body, including Oxymorphone, which is similar to Morphine.

Sullivan also had an enlarged heart, which was described as a “significant condition”.

In a statement in December, the drummer was described by his bandmates as “our best friend and brother".

Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2