View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Br00t eL's Meat AllS? Please tell me what you think. 
Viking Kong

Post Br00t eL's Meat AllS? Please tell me what you think.
I'm going to try and get as possible to professional as I can with my mixes because sooner or later, I'm going to want to put out some music that I can send around to record companies, or just spread around the internet. By all means, my mixes aren't quite THERE yet, but I made a couple of changes today and found something I liked. By the way, I'm mixing on a couple shitty computer speakers and Skullcandy ear buds. So, don't expect toooo much (I still think it's damn good for what I have though).

It's 30 seconds, and you don't have to listen to anything except the first clip and tell me what you think of the sound quality (drums, guitar, etc.). The composition is kind of experimental and keeps jumping time signatures. I just kinda screwed around.

http://www.myspace.com/briansheumusic

My setup is just Pro Tools LE 7.4 and the M-box 2.

Last edited by Refried Bean on Thu May 21, 2009 2:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

Thu May 21, 2009 12:57 am
Superhero

The silliest of nitpicks, all as one point:

Maybe the bass frequencies down a smidge. Just the tiniest of smidges! Alternatively, perhaps the lead vocal line needs to be mixed slightly higher or the other parts mixed very slightly lower. The rhythm / drums sounds brutal, but I would suggest their volume being a tiny bit reduced.

In summary, the lead volume could be a tiny be higher in proportion. maybe.

Fucking awesome.

Last edited by Nitefly on Thu May 21, 2009 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 21, 2009 1:06 am
Viking Kong

Good, could be my headphones though, but I thought the lead was a little too quite.

Thu May 21, 2009 1:08 am
Viking Kong

Thanks guys. I will probably lower the bass a smidgen, because I did boost them for the bass drum and bass guitar. The lead is a little quiet through earphones, but I couldn't tell on my speakers. I will probably fix those two parts later. Thanks again for checking out the new mix. I'm glad it sounds super br00tal.

Thu May 21, 2009 1:37 am
is evil...Evil Joe

Sounds pretty slamming on my Sennheiser HD570 (which you can get on Ebay for a pretty good price). I agree that the lead guitar needs to be up front more. Rhythm and drums sounds great. Bass is a little much, I'd argue that you don't even need it.

Last edited by ShreddyRayVaughan on Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 21, 2009 1:45 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Sounds pretty slamming on my Sennheiser HD570 (which you can get on Ebay for a pretty good price). I agree that the lead guitar needs to be up front more. Rhythm and drums sounds great. Bass is a little much, I'd argue that you don't even need it.

Thanks man, and welcome to the forum (and I love your sn by the way). It's good to hear that it sounds good going through studio speakers! Thanks for your suggestion.

Here's an interesting perspective from someone else too: Someone at toontracks said instead of lowering the bass (he said it's well established in the mix), I should just put up the rhythm guitars a tad (so they don't get lost in the bass frequencies), and the lead a bit more.

I'll keep experimenting with the mix of course, so keep the suggestions coming! I've tried 3 earphones so far, and they all sound good to me. I'm a bit surprised actually haha.

Thu May 21, 2009 3:44 am
is evil...Evil Joe

Thanks man, and welcome to the forum (and I love your sn by the way). It's good to hear that it sounds good going through studio speakers! Thanks for your suggestion.

Here's an interesting perspective from someone else too: Someone at toontracks said instead of lowering the bass (he said it's well established in the mix), I should just put up the rhythm guitars a tad (so they don't get lost in the bass frequencies), and the lead a bit more.

I'll keep experimenting with the mix of course, so keep the suggestions coming! I've tried 3 earphones so far, and they all sound good to me. I'm a bit surprised actually haha.

Thanks, I'm also a huge fan of beans. HD570 are headphones not monitors but they sound just as good! They aren't field monitors though, they are hi-fi. I think the suggestion about cutting the low end off the rhythm is probably the right way to go!

Last edited by ShreddyRayVaughan on Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 21, 2009 4:07 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Refried Bean wrote:

Thanks, I'm also a huge fan of beans.

Damn straight. Burritos aren't the same without them. :D

Fri May 22, 2009 2:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]