View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Wacken open air festival 2008 (Germany) 
God Of The Sun

Post Wacken open air festival 2008 (Germany)
OK, here is my Wacken 08 summary (I know, I'm a litte late)

This year there were ~72500 metal fans at wacken

Stage area:

Camping area (my tent was only 5 minutes away from the stage area = awesome)

my brother and I (yes, I bought the official wacken sun hat)

lots of rain during day 2 (yes, these are 2 of the super low budget tents connected together)

The bands (I'll only review the bands I've seen, or remember seeing them :lol: )
Day 1:
Airbourne: Awesome! The drummer looks like Tom Cruise from MI2
They rock!

Avenged Sevenfold: Pure "Bro"-Metal :lol:, but nice
Sinister gates' guitarsound is quite mushy, but this wasn't a big surprise since he's using invader pu's... :roll:
the singer is quite cool

Iron Maiden: Awesome show, the guys really enjoyed themselves. Bruce's voice sounded great.
However, since this was the first evening of the festival, everyone was full of energy, so standing in the crowd quite in the front was quite a crushing experience. There was no moshing, it was just people getting shoved around, so that pretty much sucked.
But after 20 minutes of Maiden it got even worse: Some asshole stole my wallet (with my passport and everything, which I needed to fly back home etc.). I checked the ground in case my wallet just fell out of my pocket, but that wasn't an easy task. On the other hand, my pocket where the wallet was in was buttoned up and everything, so it could only been stolen by a pickpocket.
After the iron maiden show I realised that approximately 30 people were searching the festival ground for their wallet (it was later confirmed that there was some pickpocket gang or whatever at the festival...).
I actually managed to find my extremely dirty and empty wallet and some IDs, bank & credit cards etc. and lots of stuff of other people which I carried to the lost and found. My passport and driving license was still missing though...

Day 2 (lots of rain during lunchtime and beyond):

I went to the lost and found and tadaaa! My passport was back, which also meant that I'll be able to fly home and to the freak guitar camp as well.

Band wise, day 2 was quite a marathon:

Kamelot: Band was tight. The singer seemed to have a really bad day (or he went drinking with Iron Maiden on the night before. Most bands share the same hotel...)
On "the haunting" they had a special guest, Simone Simons of Epica who also sang on the album version of that song, that was pretty cool.

Sonata Arctica: The new guitarist played well. The band seemed to enjoy themselves. Great show.

Opeth: Just awesome!
Mikael confessed that he had a bad hangover because he went drinking with Iron Maiden the night before. His performance was still flawless though.
Suprisingly they only played one song off the new album, "Lotus eater" I think

Children of Bodom: I think they only played 2 songs off "Blooddrunk" and 1 song off "Are you gay yet" so it was a quite good setlist.
Alexi also said "I heard it was raining today, so many of you probably brought an umbrella...." Nedless to say, they played Umbrella by Rihanna then. Which was just hilarius. They also played Jump by Van Halen.
Great concert, but the crowd didn't go as crazy as during the CoB concert of wacken 06.

Avantasia (the side project of the Edguy Singer Tobias Sammet):
Huge band, lots of guest vocalists, a guest guitar solo by Uli John Roth etc.
My brother said "Tobi Sammet is the King of embarrassing performances" :lol: but actually it was much less cheesy than when he's singing with Edguy so it was quite cool. Avantasia was way cooler than I thought they would. Really kick ass, actually.

Gorgoroth: Right after the "flower Metal" of Avantasia comes the blackest of black metal; Gorgoroth. I was really excited to see how "blasphemic" these guys will be.
They had their impaled sheep heads, some naked girls and one guy on crucifixes, corpse paint, etc.
The band sounded brewtal, Gahls vocals where really powerful, however, the music got quite boring after a while and I couldn't really understand what Gahl was singing... so I waited for them to make some "blasphemic" statements in between the songs but it was just like at a Rammstein concert, with no words in between the songs. Only a "thank you" at the very end of the concert. So I for all the hype that band had, I was expecting a bit more.
So after Gorgoroth (3am) I went to sleep.

So basically I was watching bands for 9 hours that day :shock:

Day 3:

I went to the lost and found and tadaaa!! My driving license was there! Awesome, so I only lost all my money.

3 Inches of Blood: I liked their "Deadly sinners" song so I went to see them (they where the first band playing that day...), they were quite good.

Nightwish: The new singer is great, but she talks a little bit of nonsense in between the songs sometimes :lol:
It was cool but it'd be cooler with Tarja, I think.

Kreator: yeah, quite cool. The singer also said his catchphrase "Are you ready to kill each other", hooray!

Ok, thats it for day 3, basically I was hanging around a lot more at the tent or the metal shops and stuff.

for more pics, check the wacken picture gallery
http://gallery.wacken.com/thumbnails.php?album=580

Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:13 pm
God Of The Sun

Nice to know you had a great time! Too bad about the wallet though. At least you only lost all your money, could've been worse :?.

I wish i could go there and see Opeth. I already saw Iron Maiden this summer and like you said they seemed to be enjoying themselves and were also full of energy.

Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:48 pm
King Of The Monsters

Wacken must be a lifetime experience for any metalhead!!

Glad to read you enjoyed yourself...and what a relief to have found the passport!

Image Image

Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:54 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Wacken sounds like a BLAST! I've been wanting to go since I was like 8-9 years old! Next year, I'm going, no doubt man!!!

Really digging on Michael Hedges. And Shawn Lane. And Pat Metheny.

Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:49 pm
God Of The Sun

yes, Wacken was kickass! Especially the concept of having the two big stages side by side is great. That way you don't have much waiting time between the bands since they can already build up the stage gear while another band is playing on the other stage etc.

Guitarp77 wrote:

Glad to read you enjoyed yourself...and what a relief to have found the passport!

yeah, getting it back on the day after I lost it really made the festival fun again

Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:14 am
Site Admin

I think Metal Meeting in Belgium is more impressive...but that's just me.

Regards,
Ken

Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:57 pm
Profile WWW
King Of The Monsters

Guitarp77 wrote:

For any "southamerican" that sadly never will have the chance to see all those bands together (and sometimes, you never can see "the band itself") any festival that manages to put them all together is a lifetime experience :roll:

Image Image

Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:29 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

KenHower wrote:
Guitarp77 wrote:

For any "southamerican" that sadly never will have the chance to see all those bands together (and sometimes, you never can see "the band itself") any festival that manages to put them all together is a lifetime experience :roll:

well, there was good old Rock In Rio...

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:25 pm
Profile YIM
King Of The Monsters

And next year there will be Wacken Brazil...

Image Image

Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:57 pm
Profile WWW
Tab Master

I heard COB's set and it was a decent performance. I can't say much about any of the other bands cuz I haven't heard them but playing there and being there must be cool. Download is the same experience so I can imagine you had a great time.

Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:09 pm
Viking Kong

time to meet some RX fan from Chile maybe? :P

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:26 pm
Profile YIM
King Of The Monsters

Guitarp77 wrote:

time to meet some RX fan from Chile maybe? :P

If the band list deserves it, yes... :twisted:

Image Image

Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:09 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]