View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The '90s Generation 
Viking Kong

Post The '90s Generation
I know a lot of the guys at this forum are products of the '60s and '70s, and have been to their fair share of '80s rock concerts.

But when I was growing up, there was a different scene. My music begin expedition began with Megadeth's "Countdown to Extinction" in 1992, and I soon evolved into bands like Blind Melon, Collective Soul, Pearl Jam, and Alice in Chains all throughout the 1990s. I was very young at the time, but I remember sitting in my grandma's basement listening to copied tapes of Cypress Hill, White Zombie, and Guns N' Roses; whenever a friend - usually my brother's friend - came over with a new cassette, he'd usually plug it into the cassette stereo and make a copy of it for us, and that's really how I got into music.

So, how did you guys from the earlier generation feel about the music coming out in the 1990s? Did you avoid the mainstream market at that time?

Sat May 27, 2006 8:27 am
God Of The Sun

For me, it started with Extreme and Mr Big. I was about 11 when both bands released there second albums. My dad used to play Guitar when he was young and got the albums because he was impressed with Nuno and Pauls playing.

After that i wanted to find more Bands and i did:

Metallica
Megadeth
Faith no More
Soundgarden
Van Halen - with Sammy
GNR

And then at about 15 i saw Ozzy on the Ozzmosis tour and the Heavy Metal Gene kicked in:

Machinehead
Fear Factory

And loads more, i cant think of right now

Sat May 27, 2006 8:55 am
Superhero

I've only recently started getting into music with the arrival of American Idol and Kelly Clarkson.

Sat May 27, 2006 8:55 am
Unt! I move topics!

Post Re: The '90s Generation
Ryan wrote:
So, how did you guys from the earlier generation feel about the music coming out in the 1990s? Did you avoid the mainstream market at that time?

The 90's sucked compared to the 80's. Most of the cool bands from the early 80's had put out crappy records towards the end of the 80's and/or had broken up by the 90's. A few decent metal records got released in the early 90's, including Judas Priest's Painkiller, Ozzy's No More Tears, Metallica's Black Album (not a great Metallica album, but a decent metal album), and Megadeth's Countdown to Extinction. Plus, Pantera put out Cowboys From Hell and Vulgar Display of Power. But then Halford left Priest, Metallica completely sold out with Load, and Megadeth's albums got progressively worse. Fight's debut CD kicked ass but then the follow up was grunge influenced and then Rob did the Two record, which nearly destroyed his career. And of course, Ozzy turned into a complete buffoon. Pantera was really the only metal band that didn't puss-out during the 90's.

I did like Alice In Chains, especially the first CD (Facelift). But drug abuse destroyed that band pretty rapidly. Never really got into any of the other "grunge" bands. I initially liked Anthrax's cross-over into rap-metal and then got into Rage Against The Machine. But then all the other rap influenced bands came out and they all sucked (esp. Limp Bizkit and Korn). Never could get into any of the nu-metal crap. Things were pretty bleak during the mid- to late-90's.

Things got better around the turn of the millennium with Black Label's first two records, Rob Halford returning to metal with Resurrection, and (of course) the return of Racer X.

In summary, there were a few good records released in the 90's, but most of it was crap.

Sat May 27, 2006 4:20 pm
Profile WWW
Godzilla

I'm old. Raised on KISS, Aerosmith, and Zeppelin (KMET and KLOS - LA FM radio stations). In 1978 I heard Van Halen and was blown away. I then got into Black Sabbath, Rainbow, Dio, Deep Purple, UFO, etc.

In high school a friend of mine introduced me to a guy who just moved to Newport Beach from Denmark and was starting a band. He turned out to be Lars Ulrich. I saw the various forms of Metallica at local clubs until they moved upstate to the Bay Area. I then got into the New Wave of British Heavy Metal (Iron Maiden, Def Leppard, Motorhead, Diamond Head, etc.) and lived through the whole 80s metal explosion in Los Angeles.

As Doc pointed out, many of the 80's era bands were putting out shitty records by the 90's. I didn't really get into Nirvana although I paid close attention to the huge impact they had on the music biz. I like Foo Fighters much better. The only bands that became popular in the 90's which I got into somewhat were Tool, Rage Against the Machine, Alice in Chains, Pantera, and Soundgarden. I went to Lollapalooza in 93 and those bands, with the exception of Soundgarden, played, along with Primus and Fishbone. It was a great show. I saw Rage Against the Machine for the first time in 93 at the Santa Monica Civic and was not familiar with any of their material at the time. It was an "interesting" show. Never got into much "nu-metal" or rap-metal I tried. Couldn't stand it.

http://www.facebook.com/diatribute
http://www.facebook.com/whitelietheband

Sat May 27, 2006 10:16 pm
Viking Kong

I'm from 89 so...didn't have that much stuff going on....specially in Brazil..

I just remember that To Be With You was a great hit there, because it was in a TV show...

I I'm not mistaken, Paul played one of his beggest concerts(or maybe, the biggest) there with Mr. BIG... It seems that there were arround 100,000 people in that concert....that was on a beach!

well....by that time, I probably used to care about Super Mario Bros. ....

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Sun May 28, 2006 2:10 am
Profile YIM
God Of The Sun

This is probably one of the most unsafe things to say in the history of unsafe things to say. But I'm going to say it anyway because I feel it will provide at least some amusement to a few people on this board.

The first band I ever remember liking was New Kids on the Block. Don't ask me why. I've thought long and hard about it to TRY and remember another band BEFORE them. But I can't. So, for the sake of this thread, there was a very short period in my life when I somehow found their music enjoyable.

Okay, now all laughs aside, I didn't really care much for music until about 1st or 2nd grade when I heard Green Day's song "Basketcase" for the first time. For a few years after that, I literally listened to nothing but Green Day, and for the longest time they're the only band I can remember ever listening to. Around that time, aside from Green Day I never really got into any other bands specifically. I liked a lot of songs that I would hear on the radio, and remember liking stuff by Collective Soul, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, the Spin Doctors, and the Gin Blossoms, :lol: But still, aside from listening to the radio and watching MTV, I didn't have a huge interest in music until the late 90's when I discovered Pennywise's music on a skateboarding arcade game. After getting into Pennywise, I got into all the other bands on the Epitaph label and was totally gung ho about the whole scene by 2000. It's also interesting that around this same time I had gotten a computer with internet access and discovered Napster, discovered more bands, and really started my eternal music obsession. :lol: For some reason, I also remember being REALLY into Marcy Playground for a while. And aside from the Green Day albums, I think the next highest played CD I had, before I got Pennywise's "About Time" was Marcy Playground's first self-titled CD.

Sun May 28, 2006 4:34 am
Profile YIM
God Of The Sun

I honestly remember being probably 12 and listening to Toys in the Attic, Live at Budokan(Cheap Trick) and Destroyer. I remember listening to those with my now drummer and acting like we were in the bands and stuff like that, lol. I never got into any music that was coming out at the time. I was stuck in the 60s and 70s.

Sun May 28, 2006 8:30 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Being asian, I was raised on classical music (8 year classically trained violinist) and jazz. I hated being forced to practice an hour per day and I sucked at music theory. I started being rebellious and started listening to mainstream rock. I wanted a guitar. And so, on the summer of 2002 (or 2001 i can't remember) i finally got a squire guitar with a crappy amp. I was happy.

I liked Greenday, Blink 182, Sum41 and all that mainstream stuff. Actually I still like some of it. Great ideas, however simple they are. When we entered the year 2000, most of these bands went downhill. Oh well. I remember that Sum41 had some pretty cool guitar solos.

After my punk/pop infatuation, I started listening to AC/DC. Only listened to them for about a month, and moved on. Found Eruption by Van Halen and thought, "oh geeze, i got to learn this to impress everybody." Learned and added some of my own parts to it. It was at least 5 minutes long. (TOO MUCH TAPPING) . It was cool until it got overplayed by everyone.

Then i got into Ozzy Osbourn, and that started my infatuation with Randy's playing. (For a while i thought Jake E. Lee and Zakk Wylde's playing was Randy. LOL) Around this period, I started hating on Pop punk bands because every metal head did so.

After a few years, I found Steve Vai, Yngwie, Paul, and finally Jason Becker. I found other guitarists, but none of them really struck me as super great besides these guys.

I also decided to be myself and started liking bands (almost everything i listened to) that I wouldn't normally listen to. Bands like Avenged Sevenfold, Trivium, Norma Jean, It Dies Today, and other really heavy bands caught my attention. I got into prog like Dream Theater and Symphony X. Also The Mars Volta and Muse were pretty awesome as well. Got kind of tired of metal heads always putting non traditional-metal bands down. Defended the non traditional metal bands to piss them off. fun. :o

Now, I listen to anything ranging from Glen Miller to the Beatles, to Racer X, to Slipknot.

EDIT: I just realized i went way off topic. Even if i'm from the 89 generation. Im the last generation of the 80s. The 80's dies with me. sweet. :P

Sun May 28, 2006 9:38 pm
Superhero

Mon May 29, 2006 4:28 am
Profile YIM
Superhero

by the way, shouldn't this thread be on Music Mall?

just curiosity...

Mon May 29, 2006 4:33 am
Profile YIM
Unt! I move topics!

by the way, shouldn't this thread be on Music Mall?

just curiosity...

:shock: :oops:

Damn, this one slipped right by me. Thanks for the assist.

Mon May 29, 2006 5:04 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

The 90's sucked (IMO) Only a handful of bands got me through the 90's...

Dream Theater
Pantera
Sevendust
Korn
Coal Chamber
RATM
STP
Queensryche
some dude named Paul Gilbert...

:twisted:

Mon May 29, 2006 3:35 pm
Viking Kong

Mon May 29, 2006 5:53 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Viking Kong

Mr Big. anyone?

Quote:
I just remember that To Be With You was a great hit there, because it was in a TV show...

I I'm not mistaken, Paul played one of his beggest concerts(or maybe, the biggest) there with Mr. BIG... It seems that there were arround 100,000 people in that concert....that was on a beach!

:)

You're hired. :)
For what...I have no clue.

Mon May 29, 2006 7:29 pm
Profile YIM
Dr. X

I'm from 88.
Only got into music when internet arrived my house, I was 14 years old.
First band that I liked, Metallica, then Green Day, then Joe Satriani, then Van Halen, then Paul Gilbert.

The sad thing is that I only discovered the 90's scene now around 2008/2009 and I found it to be one of the most creative ever. My favorite stuff from the 90's are:
Lenny Kravitz
Extreme
Nuno Bettencourt, all solo albums. I dare to say Nuno's 98 album was the first that had pop melodies and virtuoso lines on it, in the same packet. It happened later in Paul Gilbert's "Alligator Farm" and Bumblefoot "Normal".
Paul Gilbert (again: pop tunes with virtuoso solos? Cool!)
Supergrass (I felt very sad when I knew they would end the band)
Stone Temple Pilots (Purple is a masterpiece, point. And "Sour Girl" must be one of the best things writen ever)
Primus
Soundgarden (two last albums)
Green Day (specially Insomniac and Nimrod)
Pink Floyd "Division Bell", I listened over and over and over

The 90's were pretty good on computer games/videogames too. GT Interactive, Activision, Interplay, ID Games... they always used to bring the coolest games.

Time to rock!! \m/

Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:19 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

Before I looked at the date I was wondering why there were posts from Dimentor and other members I haven't seen around in ages.

I spur stoic ass juice fossile !

Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:26 pm
King Of The Monsters

I grew up in the nineties also...

But I think the only bands I dug (for some time at least) were Nirvana, Green Day and Oasis. After 1 year or so, I got back to my musical roots (60s and 70s), where I got deeper and deeper in bands like The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, KI$$ and Deep Purple.

1998, Megadeth came to Chile, and I started learning about shred (Friedman), and that was the breaking point to keep unleashing the fucking metal in my life...

Image Image

Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:03 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

The best 90's bands are easily Pantera, AiC and Soundgarden!

Really digging on Michael Hedges. And Shawn Lane. And Pat Metheny.

Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:20 pm
Superhero

Prodigy spawned in the 1990s. That is enough to make that decade awesome.

Experience still ranks as one of favourite albums ever.

Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next